Re: Newbie C programming question - OT

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 08:54:28AM +0100, Patrick Kirk wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 12:01:11AM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:
> >On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 09:10:42PM +0100, Patrick Kirk wrote:
> [..]
> >You're learning C and ypu started with a curses/forms app?
> >Curses (and esp the SysV form stuff) is getting to be pretty
> >arcane stuff these days. There are a few people that know it
> >well, but not too many. There's a CD ripper front-end named
> >mp3c that has a pretty nice ncurses UI (but I don't think it
>
> I didn't choose curses - its just the usual way to do console apps
> that I access via ssh from wherever I happen to be that day.
>
> If there is an easier library than ncurses, let me know please.
> But so far it seems do-able.

There's a simpler library called newt (it's what's used for the
Debian installer UI and the RedHat text-mode installer UI), but
it's not well suited for complex, multi-window applications.
It's also rather lacking in documentation.

> Current plan is to have the form inactive but have data entry
> done on pressing 'e' and each field have a corresponding data
> entry field that pops up as you enter it.
>
> But I suspect that I am applying the event driven model where
> it doesn't fit so that's why I was looing for sample apps.

Unforunately, I don't know of any that use the form library.
Asking in c.o.l.d.a will probably find the right people.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com