Re: installation

on Mon, Apr 29, 2002, Mike Stickney (mcirlab@pdq.net) wrote:

> I am unable to install Debian Linux 2.2.  The system recognizes the
> CD, proceeds to installation of the operating system and then decides
> that the CD cannot be mounted despite the fact that it has already
> been using it.  The instructions on the debian.org website are fairly
> close to useless.  Are there any instructions that cover what to do
> when the installation isn't perfect?

Please set your mailer/editor linewrap to 68-75 characters.  I strongly
recommend 72 as a good default.

Thank you.

The best source of information for less-than-perfect installs are
largely Google and this list.

Specific error messages can also be helpful.  Note that there are four
virtual consoles for the installation session:

  VC 1:  Installation.
  VC 2:  shell
  VC 3 & 4:  process log and kernel messages (I forget which order).

Switching between consoles is done with <alt> and an F key, e.g.:
<alt><F2> == VC 2.

Try looking at the output of the following commands:

    # Is the CD already mounted?  This will cause poblems -- the
    # installer generally needs the CD to be _un_mounted.
    $ mount

    # Are there problems reading the CD?  These usually show up as
    # kernel ring buffer messages.  Save to a file (say, on a floppy) if
    # possible:
    $ dmesg

    # Can you mount the CD manually?  Usually the CD is /dev/hdc (master
    # device, 2nd IDE channel), but this may vary.
    $ mkdir /mnt/cdrom $ mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

    # Can you read the CD?  Try looking at files.  Chances are if you've
    # got this far, you can:
    $ cat /mnt/cdrom/TRANS.TBL

Peace.

   Use a personal CSS stylesheet to promote Web usability:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Download/UserContent.css
       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Download/test-css.html