Re: Permissions and Remote Printing

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:55:12 +0200 Erik van der Meulen
<e.van.der.meulen@avondel.nl> wrote:

> Dear All - I have two Debian boxes, one of which has a printer
> connected to it. The printer works (magicfilter), I can print from the
> local machine (echo 'Hello World' |lp), and also from my other Win
> boxes using Samba.

You can print from other Windows machines because it's the (local) samba
who's doing the printing on behalf of the remote user.

> What I have not been able to do is print from another Debian system.
> If I try to print from my laptop which has the following printcap:
> I get this on the laptop:
>     no connect permissions
> permission to print, so I created on the printserver /etc/hosts.lpd
> which contains only '+', but that did not help.

You neglected to give information on the printing system you're using.
Looks like LPRNG, though... In that case, I don't think LPRNG uses
hosts.lpd, that would be utter nonsense. You should perhaps look
in lpd.perms and/or lpd.conf, under lprng.

--
Carlos Sousa