Permissions and Remote Printing

Dear All - I have two Debian boxes, one of which has a printer connected
to it. The printer works (magicfilter), I can print from the local
machine (echo 'Hello World' |lp), and also from my other Win boxes using
Samba.
What I have not been able to do is print from another Debian system. If
I try to print from my laptop which has the following printcap:

  lp|hplj4l|HP Laserjet 4L Thuis:\
          :lp=:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hplj4l:rm=192.168.1.2:rp=hplj4l:lpr_bounce:\
          :sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
          :if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet4l-filter:\
          :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

I get this on the laptop:

  Printer: lp@eme_lap (dest hplj4l@192.168.1.2) 'HP Laserjet 4L Thuis'
   Queue: no printable jobs in queue
    Server: no server active
    12:52:10.951
    Rank   Owner/ID                  Class Job Files
    Size Time
    error  root@eme_lap+721             A   721 ERROR: link failure
    while sending j
    no connect permissions

>From the printing-howto I have learned that the remote machine needs
permission to print, so I created on the printserver /etc/hosts.lpd
which contains only '+', but that did not help.

Any pointers much appreciated!

--
  Erik van der Meulen <e.van.der.meulen@avondel.nl>