Re: Tool to find out info about machine ?

On  0, craigw <craigw@lvcm.com> wrote:
> On Sun Apr 28, 2002 at 11:41:30PM -0500, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
> >
> > There is nmap which tries to guess the operating system plus some
> > other things. If you are running those machines and want to found out
> > how things are going, you might consider installing the snmp daemon on
> > them and querying to from remote using the snmp tools.
> >

> when I run nmap on any target outside of my little home network, even
> with the default options, my internet connection is usually disrupted
> rather quickly. The cable modem then needs to be reset.
>
> I don't know if it's messing up the modem or, what I assume, is that cox
> cable is reacting to something they don't like that nmap is doing.
>
> any advice?

I think nmap uses portmap, which is widely regarded as a good sign
that you are attempting to compromise system security, isn't it?  I
know of a couple of ISPs that will disconnect you instantly if they
see portmap packets on their router...

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"That you're not paranoid does not mean they're not out to get you."
	- Robert Waldner

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au