Re: simple dpkg & compile from source question

On Sun Apr 28, 2002 at 01:51:39AM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * craigw (craigw@lvcm.com) [020426 20:19]:
> >
> > I don't think you need to build your own to accomplish this.
> >
> > dpkg -i -R /usr/local package.deb
> >
> > should install 'package' in /usr/local
> >
> > If I am wrong please someone correct me. I have seen this in the manpage
> > for dpkg, but have never used it.
>
> It's 'dpkg --instdir=/usr/local -i package.deb'
>
> This technique is *very* useful for building chroot jails!

a-ha. Thank you. I've been wondering about that. You see, the manpage
for dpkg lists a -R flag twice, and I find it very confusing. First is
this one:

-R | --recursive
        (recursively install all debs in dir & subdirs)

Okay, makes sense, no problems there. But then, only a couple lines
farther down, is this mess:

-R | --root=dir | --admindir=dir | --instdir=dir
         Change default directories.  admindir  defaults  to
         /var/lib/dpkg  and  contains  many  files that give
         information about  status  of  installed  or  unin­
         stalled  packages,  etc.  instdir defaults to / and
         refers to the directory where packages  are  to  be
         installed.  instdir is also the directory passed to
         chroot(2)  before  running  package's  installation
         scripts,  which  means that the scripts see instdir
         as a root directory.  Changing root changes instdir
         to dir and admindir to dir/var/lib/dpkg.

I have been wondering, what the heck are they trying to say here, why
do they reuse the -R, and most of all, what is this one any good for?
With your answer I have the beginnings of comprehension.
Thanks,
--
-CraigW