Re: jigdo-lite and resuming?

On Saturday 27 April 2002 08:58 pm, andrej hocevar wrote:
> Hello,
> I don't really understand the jigdo method yet. In fact, I know nothing
> about it -- what I'd like to know is about its resume-capabilities. I've
> started downloading but in the morning my brother will want to boot
> windows and this connection's not that fast.
>
> So how will I be able to resume the whole thing?

I tried jigdo-easy (found under the the PIK links).  With -easy, I started
the program (./jigdo-easy), choose the same architecture, choose the same
disk, entered <Enter> for all other prompts.  I studied the .list file and
learned that the jigdo process follows the .list sequence in getting files.
You can use the .list and watch the outputs of jigdo to ensure that you are
resuming at the correct location.

I was not successful using jigdo-easy.  I got "Oops" messages at the end of
the process. There where some missing files evidently but I couldn't figure
out which file was missing. I tried some remedies that are documented to no
avail. One of the remedies is to wait for the files to reappear later -
presumably it's missing on purpose. I was downloading sparc architecture and
not the the more commonly used (I think) i386 architecture, so perhaps that
accounts for the difficulty I had - fewer problem reports perhaps.

The jigdo method is just too cool.  THe benefit is that you make an .iso
from the components.  As you go forward, you can update the .iso by rerunning
jigdo and getting just the updated components.  That's a huge time savings.
for someone wanting to always have the freshest most up-to-date .iso on an
on-going basis.  If you just want an .iso now, just download a ready-to-burn
.iso.

I opted to use "wget -c" and several different mirror sites (alternating them
whenever wget stalled) to download ready-to-burn .iso.  Search archive of
this list for yesterday and today on "ISO" for more information.

Mike Mueller