Re: netscape3 installation

on Fri, Apr 26, 2002, Noah Meyerhans (noahm@debian.org) wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 02:17:04PM +0200, Johan van der Walt wrote:
> > I installed Debian 2.2r6 earlier this week. Also wanted to install
> > netscape but got the error message given below. Can anyone please
> > help.  Is netscape 4 not available?
>
> The netscape package contains netscape 4.  You installed netscape3,
> which (naturally) installs netscape 3.  The error message you saw was
> due to the fact the the netscape3 package doesn't actually include
> netscape 3 in it (since Netscapes licensen wouldn't allow that) but
> merely handles the installation of it once you've downloaded it from
> Netscape's FTP server.  This (IIRC) is not the case with the 'netscape'
> package, because netscape loosened up the restrictions a bit for
> netscape 4.
>
> Why do you want such a clunky old browser when there are much nicer
> onces (like mozilla) available now?

I beleive you misspelled "galeon" ;-)

That said, GNU/Linux makes a useful platform for testing browser
compatibility, as you can install both different vendors' browsers, and
different versions of a vendors' browser.  This being difficult with
Brand X.

Netscape offers an archive of products, you can install different
versions (as locally managed products), from 2.02 to 6.2:

    http://www.netscape.com/download/archive.html?cp=dowarc

Peace.

   TWiki:  documentation for the GNU millennium.
     http://twiki.org/