Re: Memory strange behaviour

On Sun Apr 28, 2002 at 01:00:28AM +0800, Willy Sutrisno wrote:
> * Shawn McMahon (smcmahon@eiv.com) wrote:
> > begin  Willy Sutrisno quotation:
> > >
> > > I installed potato last week. For the past 1 week, I observed that potato very
> > > seldom use my swap. Previously when I was using RedHat, my comp use alot of
> > > swap. Sometime even reach 100%, left my ram 80% utilize.
> >
> > And this is a problem because....???
> No, it is not a problem. I am just curios why my current linux (Debian) does
> not use as much swap as RedHat.
>
> > What version of RedHat?  With what kernel?
> I was using RedHat 7.2, the kernel should be 2.4.10

This is not an answer to your question, but I find it interesting, and
somewhat related.

I have several distros installed on an Athlon with 384 Mb RAM.

If I reboot into Debian, log into gnome 1.4, immediately fire up an rxvt
and issue the 'top' command, that top command will have a PID of around
374, and tells me that I have 87 megs of RAM being used.

Now I reboot into RedHat 7.2, and here's the results of doing the exact
same thing there: PID 2571, 126 megs RAM used.

It's the PID that really slays me - over 2,000 additional processes had
to run to get me to the same place! As I said, this is not in answer to
your question, but then again it may be to some extent. Perhaps those
bash-happy scripters at RedHat have so many background processes popping
up that they account for the swap use? Like maybe Nautilus or Oaf or
Medusa or whoever it is that seems inclined to do a disk page every 10
seconds?

--
-CraigW