Re: ov511 video cam

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 02:47:25AM -0400, Scott Henson wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 16:24, Jamin W.Collins wrote:
> > On 26 Apr 2002 12:38:16 -0400

> > > lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     video           6 Apr 26 01:17 /dev/video ->
> > > video0
> > > crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,   0 Apr 26 02:32 /dev/video0
> > > crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,   1 Apr 26 01:17 /dev/video1
> > >
> > > there are more but they all follow this same pattern.
> >
> > I assume that you're not running the programs that you've attempted as
> > "root", right?  based on the permissions provided, that leaves the "video"
> > group.  Is the user you've attempted running the programs as a member of
> > the video group?  If you're not sure, running "groups <user>" should tell
> > you what groups the user belongs to.  Based on the above permissions, only
> > the user "root" and members of "video" can access the video* devices.  So,
> > either add the user to the "video" group or change the permissions of the
> > device to allow others (aka world) read/write access.
> I am running it as user shenson2 and shenson2 is a member of the video
> group.
>
> shenson2@sandm:~$ gqcam
> /dev/video: No such device
>
> and as you can see above, the device node does exist.  Also the cam is
> pluged in and the module is loaded.  I also loaded the cpia module just
> in case and it still wont work.  Not even root can start anything
> relating to the cam.  Thanks for the help so far, but any other ideas?

[ Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with that camera ]

If the problem was a missing device node, you should have gotten
something along the lines of "No such file or directory".

Once the module is loaded, what does /proc/devices say? For things to
work, the module must register itself a major/minor device number (81/0
in the case of /dev/video0).

If it *does* show as 81 in /proc/devices, then hopefully /var/log/syslog
(and/or /var/log/messages, depending on your syslog config) should
reveal more; it is possible that the module simply doesn't see/recognise
the camera.

Also, double-check that you're using the correct module...

HTH

--
          _  __
|\(_|| | |_   |(/)| (_|(-'| |`-,(-`| |       http://www.karl.jorgensen.com