Re: ov511 video cam

On 26 Apr 2002 12:38:16 -0400
"Scott Henson" <shenson2@wvu.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 09:25, Jamin W.Collins wrote:
> > On 26 Apr 2002 02:39:29 -0400
> > "Scott Henson" <shenson2@wvu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to get my Ezonics webcam to work under linux.  I have
> > > figured out that it uses the ov511 driver.  It is usb and I keep
> > > trying to get it to work, but no program I use seems to work.  I
> > > keep getting an error about no such device.
> >
> > What is the ouptput of 'ls -l /dev/video*'?
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     video           6 Apr 26 01:17 /dev/video ->
> video0
> crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,   0 Apr 26 02:32 /dev/video0
> crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,   1 Apr 26 01:17 /dev/video1
>
> there are more but they all follow this same pattern.

I assume that you're not running the programs that you've attempted as
"root", right?  based on the permissions provided, that leaves the "video"
group.  Is the user you've attempted running the programs as a member of
the video group?  If you're not sure, running "groups <user>" should tell
you what groups the user belongs to.  Based on the above permissions, only
the user "root" and members of "video" can access the video* devices.  So,
either add the user to the "video" group or change the permissions of the
device to allow others (aka world) read/write access.

--
Jamin W. Collins