Re: Diald configure problems

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 05:02:23PM +0200, Theo Bierman wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am having  trouble setting up Diald, once in dselect I try to configure it, ie:
>
> running dpkg --pending --configure ...
> Setting up diald (0.99.4-5) ...
> Starting diald: fifo-created dpkg: error processing diald (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  diald
>
> I thought perhaps I had a broken package but I have downloaded it again and obviously no joy
>
> Why do I get: script returned error exit status 1?

Basically because the post-installation script in the package failed...
(but you probably guessed that).

Unfortunately, you don't seem to get much helpful output from it. So
you'll have to provoke it to be helpful.

I'd suggest adding debug on the post-install script, by modifying
/var/lib/dpkg/info/diald.postinst: instead of "set -e" on line 6, try
"set -ex".

And then try :
    # dpkg --configure diald

Although it should fail again, you should have a lot more output to help
you pinpoint the problem. No doubt, the maintainer will need this output
if/when you report a bug.

HTH
--
Karl E. Jørgensen