Re: Diald configure problems

Theo Bierman <theob@za.uu.net> wrote:

Hi

Still having hassles with diald:

dpkg -i diald_0.99.4-5_i386.deb (Reading database ... 22341 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace diald 0.99.4-5 (using diald_0.99.4-5_i386.deb) ...
Stopping diald: fifo-removed diald.
Unpacking replacement diald ...
Setting up diald (0.99.4-5) ...
Starting diald: fifo-created config-regenerated dpkg: error processing diald (--install):
 diald

Can anyone help

Hi Theo.

I really can't help with this particular installation problem. Looks like something is messed up in the post-install script on your system and the messages don't give any real clues. This might be something to direct towards the package maintainer. I would also check out the bug list against this package to see if any others have had this particular problem.

I "might" have an alternative for you, though.

The pppd program that comes with Debian provides a "Dial on Demand" function built-in that is just as good as that of diald. About the only thing it doesn't provide is the logging and monitoring of your on-line time. If this latter function (on-line time monitoring) is not important the I would highly recommend you look at setting up pppd for "Dial on Demand". It is easier to config and works just as well, IMHO.

In order to do this you should use the "pppconfig" program and go into the "advanced settings" section. You will see some options there that control this function. As I recall, it comes with the DoD turned off. It is a bit confusing at first to set up, but then so is diald!

I haven't used a PPP link in quite a while, so my memory is somewhat dated. Holler if you need some help and I will see if I can dig out some old notes. It would be nice to know which version of Debian and/or PPPD you are using...

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-