Re: Rock solid no GUI pim?

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 01:18:50PM +0200, m2@plusseven.com wrote:

> A couple of months ago I ditched GUI mail programs for ever. I'm now a
> happy mutt user. Now I'm looking for A) a calendar program B) an
> address book, that are as non graphical, stable and as versatile as
> mutt. Anything that works with emacs gets a plus.

Emacs has got a calendar with a diary if I remember correctly. You can
also look at bbdb to work with emacs for an addressbook:

     for Emacs BBDB is a rolodex-like database program for GNU Emacs.
     BBDB stands for Insidious Big Brother Database, and is not,
     repeat, *not* an obscure reference to the Buck Rogers TV series.

Or build a table or two with postgres and build a few regular queries
as short bash scripts which you can run whenever want to do something
with the data.

Here is an example of an old and very primitive but functional script
that looks up telephone numbers from a few tables in my database:

-------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

VELDE="noemnaam,van,voorletters as vrl,adres1,telefoon,werktelefoon as\
werk,selfoon,faks"

TABELLE="lidmate,besoekpunt"

VOORWAARDES="lower(van) like lower('$1%') and bpnommer = besoekpunt.nommer"

if [ ! -z "$2" ]
then
	VOORWAARDES="$VOORWAARDES and lower(noemnaam) like lower('$2%')"
fi

ORDER="van, noemnaam"
VELDE2="naam,van, besigheid, adres,huis,werk,faks, ander"
TABELLE2="pilot"
VOORWAARDES2="lower(besigheid) like lower('$1%') or lower(van) like\
lower('$1%')"

if [ ! -z "$2" ]
then
	VOORWAARDES2="$VOORWAARDES2 and lower(naam) like lower('$2%')"
fi

ORDER2="van, besigheid, naam"

echo "select $VELDE from $TABELLE where $VOORWAARDES order by $ORDER;"\
| psql $LOGNAME

echo "select $VELDE2 from $TABELLE2 where $VOORWAARDES2 order by\
$ORDER2;" | psql $LOGNAME

Regards

Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil,
      and he will flee from you."          James 4:7