Re: Has anyone used the debian CD , which comes oreilly book

on Fri, Apr 26, 2002, ben (benfoley@rcn.com) wrote:
> On Thursday 25 April 2002 11:20 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Wed, Apr 24, 2002, dkotian3@vsnl.net (dkotian3@vsnl.net) wrote:

> > > Reason I am doing it , because it takes time to download from.
> > > http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=4 for i386.
> > > It is about 650 MB, the download speed is very low for me as bad.
> > > Buying the book with CD, would be a better thing. Or else I have
> > > to search for vendor, who has the knowledge of the kernel version,etc.
> >
> > I'd discourage your inclination.
>
> while i have no urge to contest anything you say here, karsten,

OT -- I really wish you (and others) would.  Particularly when I'm
blowing smoke.

> i do think that www.oreilly.com/catalog/debian/chapter/index.html is a
> decent resource to offer to debian inquisitives who might be working
> with the delusion that purchasing a book and cd gives them an
> appropriate introduction to debian, particularily for those who've
> been, perhaps erroneously, directed to debian as a direct route from
> windoze to linux.

I don't.  I read the book, several times.  I generally love O'Reilly
(the books, not the man, though I respect him too).  There are
occasional stinkers, and this is three of them.  The CD (this is the
VA/SGI/ORA "Slink-and-a-half" distro that was given away by the crate at
LinuxWorld San Jose, 2000) was a monster, and just plain wrong in
several regards.

In a similar vein, I usually *don't* like the Sams imprint.  Strongly.
But they've got one of the better (though still dated) Debian
introductions:

    Thomas Down, _Installing Debian GNU/Linux, Sams, 11/1999, $3.70
    197 pp.  ISBN: 0672317451

If you insist on going the book route, it's far better.  The disk is
also more current (though still dated, at 1999).  Interestingly, the
book is cheaper new than used....

Even Down's book is missing a lot (a really good overview of apt).  But
at least it doesn't have the gratuitous padding that ORA's book did.
I'd recommend the Debian Project's own installation guide,
debian-policy, and the lists, myself.

Peace.

   Use a personal CSS stylesheet to promote Web usability:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Download/UserContent.css
       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Download/test-css.html