Re: fetchmail daemon dies, won't restart

On Friday 26 April 2002 12:28 am, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> I'm running a daemonized fetchmail at work, ~1000 messages daily.
>
> Periodically the daemon dies.  No good reason.  OK, I can deal with
> that.  Create an /etc/cron.d/fetchmail file with the following:
>

>     3/15 *   * * *     root /etc/init.d/fetchmail start 1>/dev/null
>
> ...which should restart fetchmail every fifteen minutes.
>
> Problem is, it doesn't.
>
> I've changed the inovcation to read:
>
>     3,18,33,48 *   * * *     root /etc/init.d/fetchmail start 1>/dev/null
>
> Checking just now, the daemon's still running.
>
> This gets pretty old, really fast, given I live and die by email....
>
> Ideas?  Thanks.

no ideas, but i gave up on fetchmail due to similar funkiness in a
single-user situation. sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't. i'm not
sufficiently versed in code to embark on any rigorous investigation, but the
conclusion i came to was that esr has become way too involved in his own fame
to appreciate the success of his invention. any fetchmail maintenance
resources i've come across fail to address enterprise utility, and are
replete with patches as obscurely oriented as the most incomprehensible c
syntax competitions. shortly put, i lost the faith. maybe the next best
alternative, if and when you find it, is the way to go. in the event that you
do find it, please let those of us who invested time in trying to tweak a
reliable and secure fetchmail know about your success.

ben