Re: [OT] DFSG-free DVD writing software

On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 08:25, csj wrote:
> On 25 Apr 2002 17:37:26 +0800
> Crispin Wellington <crispin@aeonline.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 06:54, csj wrote:
> > > I've noticed that the price of DVD writers and media are starting to
> > > fall. I'm wondering if Linux and other free OS are ready for the
> > > transition to this more ample optical storage medium. There appears to
> > > be a lack of DFSG-free software that can write DVD's. Even CDR/W-burning
> > > appears limited to two backends: cdrdao and cdrecord.
> >
> > I wouldn't call cdrdao and cdrecord 'limited'.
>
> Perhaps I chose the wrong construction. What I meant was that there are
> only two free CD burning programs, while <rant> we can't seem to have
> enough of the next greatest desktop eyecandy </rant>.

Its amazing that that which we have only two to choose from work so
wonderfully, and that which we have hundreds to choose from work so
poorly. No desktop is the best desktop. And many other sentiments from
"In the beginning was the command line".

> > dvdrtools package for dvd burners. Gives dvdrecord, a fork of the
> > cdrecord code. Same sort of layout.
> >
> > http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/dvdrtools/
>
> Thanks for the link. Mind sharing your google tricks ;-)?

An old bookmark. I think I originally found a discussion on it through
groups.google.com that referenced the site, when I was setting up a
Panasonic DVD burner.

Crispin