Emacs vs. Vim (Re: vim :help error?)

On Thu Apr 25, 2002 at 06:25:22AM -0500, Bud Rogers wrote:
> On Thursday 25 April 2002 06:00 am, Martin A. Hansen wrote:
>
> > i cant get :help to work in vim.
> >
> > i get this error:
> >
> > "help.txt.gz" [readonly][noeol] 8L, 3051C
> > Error detected while processing BufRead Auto commands for "*.gz":
>
> I believe this is the same problem I ran into not long ago.  If you
> have ~/.vimrc as well as a global vimrc in /etc, you must comment out
> the section that pertains to *.gz files in one or the other.  There is
> a debian bug on file about it.

I decided to mess around a little to see if my editors were having any
problems, and I noticed one little point of contention between them.

In Emacs, if I ask for help on zippy, it tells me about apropos-zippy
and insert-zippyism.

However, if I do :help zippy in vim, it tells me there is no help for
zippy!

That's not very nice.
Well, I suppose it is true, though.
--
-CraigW

NOW, I'm taking the NEXT FLIGHT to ACAPULCO so I can write POEMS about
 BROKEN GUITAR STRINGS and sensuous PRE-TEENS!!