Re: External USB hard disks?

On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 12:45, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Supposing I pony up the cash and buy myself the 160Gb external
> Firewire drive and get it all working, what's the collective opinion
> on filesystems for it? One great big EXT2 partition? A few somewhat
> smaller ones? One of the journaling filesystems?

I have a maxtor 80 GB firewire (more then pricey enough here in europe
:( )

Mine has a 80 GB VFAT partition, so I can use this amount of space both
in Linux and Windows, especially since it's a 'portable' drive, This
could be handy to connect it to systems from friends etc.

If you intend to only use it yourself, and only on linux systems I
recommend using a journaling filesystem (ext3). And depending on what
you need to put on it, either 1 or multiple smaller ones.

Mine is just a 80 Gig /data where I park my movies and ogg's and some
tarballs for backups and kernel/application sources.

--
Mark Janssen    Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @
SyConOS IT