Re: Soft Raid5 Problems

Hi,

Please note that with some disks, formatting may not do anything, or do very little. I was dismayed to buy a 40 MB IDE drive recently and then download the formatting utility, only to find that it formatted in under 5 seconds.

What I suggest you do is find some software that will do a bad block check and save the list of bad blocks into a file. FWB hard drive toolkit for the Mac OS does this, I'm sure there is something for Linux that does but I'm not sure what will. You will want to do both a write and read test - some bad block tests only read from the disk so they don't risk corrupting it.

What you do is repeatedly run the bad block checks to see if you get new bad blocks with each test.

If you're really strapped for cash you can keep doing this until no more bad blocks show up and then use the disk with all those bad blocks mapped out. But if the bad blocks never stop coming you've got a bad disk. Note that it might be the controller on the drive, the media on the disk, the IDE or SCSI host bus adapter, or your cable - one cheap thing to try is switching the cable with a known good one.

I was in such a jam once, dead broke and facing a deadline when a five year old SCSI disk on my mac went south on me. I repeatedly reformatted and bad block tested it for about three days before it settled down, after which I was able to continue using it. The drive is about 7 years old now and except for that one event it is still working. I think it was damaged by heat from using a poor external SCSI housing.

I believe SCSI disks have a bad block mapping table built into the drive so you can just keep testing it until no more show up and it should work. I'm not sure about IDE drives but I suspect they don't, which is maybe why the filesystem formatters do their own bad block checking.

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/
crawford@goingware.com