Re: Running into a brick wall with gconfd on NFS

On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 22:48, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> I'm having trouble running gconfd{-1,-2} on a Debian (testing) system with
> /home mounted via NFS from a FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE server.  Whenever I try to
> start the daemon, I always get:
>
>   Apr 22 10:38:40 pooh gconfd (jennifer-8327): starting (version 1.0.9), pid 8327 user 'jennifer'
>   Apr 22 10:38:40 pooh gconfd (jennifer-8327): Failed to get lock for daemon, exiting: Failed to create or open '/home/jennifer/.gconfd/lock/ior'
>
> I can work around the problem by making ~/.gconf and ~/.gconfd symlinks to
> local filesystems, but that's not really a viable long-term solution.  The
> package maintainer (Takuo KITAME) claims that not having nfs-common must be
> the problem, but nfs-common is installed on the failing client machines.
>
> I am having no other NFS-related problems with any other programs or any
> error or warning messages in any system log files.
>
> I've filed two problem reports for this issue (#144074 and #144137) but both
> were summarily closed - I was told that this isn't a problem.

The main issue is that the NFS lock daemon (lockd) is not running on
both the client and the server.  Check that they are.

Now and again however, NFS will get confused and leave a lockfile behind
after gconfd has quit.  If you are sure that there are no gconfd
processes running as you simply go into ~/.gconfd/lock/ and delete ior
(and any .nfs-lock* files).  There is sometimes another lock file in
~/.gconf/.

I have had a discussion with Havoc (who wrote gconf) and the basic
response is that gconf asks NFS to lock the file, and if NFS does not
remove the lock when gconf exits then there is nothing gconf can do, as
this is a NFS "feature".

Regards,
Ross
--