Re: amd

hi ya david

for doing "nothing fancy/tricky" with automounters...
	autofs is easier/simpler/faster than amd...

- you can either (should) explicitly list ip# ...
  or you can use 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
	for all 255 machines on that network

lets say you wanna share your home dir across multiple
machines so that no matter where you login, everything
always looks the same

#
# allow other folks to see your /home  directories
# on your home server
#
home# vi /etc/exports
	/home	192.168.1.1(rw)

	- restart nfs-server

#
# allow other folks to see your mail directories
# on your mail server
#
mail# vi /etc/exports
	/var/spool/mail	192.168.1.1(rw,no_root_squash)

	- restart nfs-server

------------------

#
# make sure you dont have any firewalls and hosts.allow/deny issues
#

all_clients#  mkdir /mnt/test
all_clients#  mount home:/home /mnt/test
all_clients#  (if it worked) ; umount /mnt/test

all_clients#  mount mail:/var/spool/mail /mnt/test
all_clients#  (if it worked) ; umount /mnt/test

-------------------
#
# now let it automount anytime you want those remote resources
#
all_clients#  vi /etc/auto.master
	/.autofs	/etc/auto.home	--timeout=60

all_clients#  vi /etc/auto.home
	home 	-fstype=nfs,soft,intr	home:/home
	mail	-fstype=nfs,soft,intr	mail:/var/spool/mail

all_clients#  mv /home /home.local
all_clients#  ln -s /.autofs/home /

all_clients#  mv /var/spool/mail /var/spool/mail.local
all_clients#  ln -s /.autofs/mail /var/spool/mail.local

restart autofs and you're all set...
	- fix your passwds by copying /etc/{passwd,shadow}
	- or play with NIS+ when you have more time

c ya
alvin
http://www.Linux-Consulting.com/AutoFS/autofs-HOWTO.html