Partitioning question?

Hi,

I've got a couple of linux boxes. Some with the standard recommended
mount /usr /var /home, etc partitions. Some are with just one partion on
the entire hard-drive. I'm considering changing the partioning scheme on
one box to multiple partitons (i.e. one for var, usr, home, etc...) Some
have more than one hard-drive, one box doesn't.

My question is, "Does it really make sense (i.e. is it worth the time
and maintenance effort) to make multiple partitions on a disk?"

I'm taking into account the fact that disks are becoming bigger two-fold
every year.

Comments please;)

Thanks in advance,
jp