Re: Update shouldn't nuke XF86Config-4

I'm not sure, but I think maybe the change to my XF86Config-4 file was done by the GPM update.

I think one is supposed to be able to get X and GPM to run on the same machine, but I couldn't get it to work. What you are supposed to do is read /dev/gpmdata as the mouse device - but this didn't work for me.

I didn't want to give up on it so what I do is stop GPM before I start X. I use some other device for my mouse data.

But besides the protocol being changed to PS/2, the device was changed to /dev/gpmdata.

I did get a question about GPM, but only whether I wanted to restart it. I said "no".

So maybe the problem is in GPM assuming it should write into XF86Config-4 - does the package do that when it updates?

Aside from that, if my mouse needs the protocol MouseManPlusPS/2, is there a way I can have GPM and X running on the same machine?

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/
crawford@goingware.com