Where to find a good DOC on compiling src

Hi Again Debian-Users,

	I am trying to find a way to reduce the number of Squid processes
running on my Debian Box.
It appears that I will need to recompile source to do this. I did check the
squid.conf file for the Squid process itself but I have only seen the
dns_server, ulinkd, redirector options which are fine as they are. So I am
stuck.

	If someone could point me to a document that explains how to compile
source the Debian way. Basically the right way would be awesome. I tried
looking at the DB website and nothing bounced out at me from a search so I
am asking the list for help.

	I have downloaded the source with apt-get. I got a tar and a Diff
file from this step into /usr/src. Now I need to know where to begin. I
figure the number of processes is somewhere in the makefile or the
configuration file to set the number of processes for squid. But I am still
very new to the Debian way. Any help is appreciated.

Also sorry if this comes in HTML format. I am trying to address this with
people who control my email transport. I think they make the out going mail
switch to HTML instead of text like I have set in my email client (OL97).

Todd M. Costa
EDP II, LAN Manager