Re: Unknown HZ value!

On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 04:16, Dave Whiteley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a server that has been running sweetly for almost a
> year. Yesterday I did my regular upgrade via dselect while installing
> inn, and it has now started printing messages:-
>
> Unknown HZ value! (22) Assume 100.
>
> It does this reliably before the output of a 'ps'. I think I have also seen it at other times (but these may have been part of other commands using ps.)
>
> Any ideas what might have caused this to start happening?

It's an overflow in the uptime calculation, and isn't much to worry
about; I have a couple of systems that have been reporting that for
months now.  It appears to trigger after 2^32 scheduling clock ticks
have passed, triggering a calculation overflow, and may be fixed in
newer versions of procps and/or the kernel.