Re: Support for wireless PCMCIA

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 02:05:16PM -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:

> > What is the "right" way to add support for this card?  I could
> > build wlan-ng from sources, but then I'd have a system that
> > can't be automatically updated.  Because of support issues, I'm
> > very adverse to using things that aren't supported Debian
> > packages.
>
> Convince Mark to create .debs for his software.  A sufficient
> number of inducements per hour should do the trick.

It would probably help if they weren't all from me.  :)

I suppose I could create a .deb package for wlan-ng, but I'm
fuzzy on a few things:

 1) What exactly does wlan-ng replace?  It appears to replace
    only part of the pcmcia-cs package.

 2) Are the drivers from wlan-ng compatible with the existing
    drivers from the pcmcia-cs package? IOW, could I just add
    prism2_cs.o to the pcmcia-cs pacakge.

I don't actually know how to create .deb files, but I know
where the docs are (it can't be that much different than
creating RPM packages), and I'm going to need to do that
eventually anyway.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com