Re: Internet Crashes

Shawn McMahon wrote:

> begin  DSC Extra quotation:
> >
> > Of those, I don't know what atd, kflushd, or kswapd are, at all.
>
> atd is used by the "at" command for scheduling jobs.
>
> kflushd and kswapd are used for virtual memory management; you need
> them.
>
> > Diald rang a bell, because I had tried to install linux to use either modem or
> > NIC card -- but it's never
> > recognized the modem.  But diald is part of that.
>
> You probably don't want diald running, but I don't know if it could
> cause your problem.
>
> > inetd causes me suspicion,
> > because I *think it might
> > be a routing daemon such as you describe*.
>
> No, it's not.  It's a server that listens for incoming connections, and
> then routes them to appropriate programs, so that those programs don't
> have to run as daemons all the time.  It's sort of a "super-daemon" used
> by many services, and you probably want it running.
>
> >  wwwoffled probably isn't a part of
> > this, but it is internet
> > related anyhow.
>
> Never heard of it.  I don't think it's a routing daemon.
>
> >  Proftpd could concievably be a daemon such as you describe,
> > also.
>
> That's an FTP server.
>
> > Are any of these likely to cause the internet crash described by Lenny Leblanc,
> > and also experienced
> > by me?
Yay!  I got my Linux internet back up -- unfortunately, I don't have
the address of the other guy on this system -- it was on Windows, but
I'll bcc myself and him later.

Anyhow, I'm going to lay out the problem, and solution, and the
steps it took to get to the solution.

Problem:  internet went down, first sporadically, then permanently, one
time taking down my ISP with it.

Solution:  Diald seems to have been interfering with the protocol.

Steps to solution, as advised by Shawn and edited by me:

(0) <login as root>
(1) ps -A    ; use this to see what hidden processes are running.
             ; write each process ending in "d" down, and then go to
(2) dselect  ; dselect and find out what they are.
(3) ping 192.168.13.254 ; ping the next computer on the network
                        ; to verify that it isn't working.  Use ctrl-c
                        ; to break out.
(4) kill 342  ;  or whatever number is the PID you got from ps-A of
              ;  a possibly guilty daemon.
(5) ping 192.168.13.254 ; try it again to see if the server is up.
(6) ps -A     ;  look for another possibly guilty suspect daemon
(7) kill 319  ;  and kill him.
(8) repeat steps 5-7 until disruptive daemon is found.
(9) shutdown -r now
(10) <login again as root>
(11) dselect  ;  remove guilty daemon process
(12) shutdown -r now