Re: booting problems - new machine, kernel 2.4

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 12:48:13PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
| dman <dman@dman.ddts.net> wrote:
|
| > With both the kernel-image packages I get the error
| >    Kernel Panic : Couldn't mount root fs on device <major:minor>
|
| More details please, start with the major:minor and the few lines before
| this message.

Herbert, thanks for your interest in helping me.  The major:minor
number is 3a:05.  It looks odd to me, but what do I know?

In fact, the whole problem is my own idiocy.  Instead of "root=" I had
"boot=" on the kernel commandline.  Oops.  I couldn't even see that
before.  I think a long weekend will help sometimes :-).  Changing
"boot" to "root" in the menu.lst solves the problem both for your
package and for my custom kernel.

Thanks!

-D

--

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."