Re: config file for current kernel

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 05:58:12AM -0700, Kapil Khosla wrote:
> Hi,
> I normally have to recompile my kernel a number of times.
>
> Obviously , the .config file in /usr/src/linux gets overwritten and I
> lose my old .config file.

!? It should only be overwritten if you change it, or do a "make
mrproper". A normal kernel compile (make dep && make bzImage modules ...
etc) AFAIK only reads from it.

> I know I can save it by a unique name but is there a command/utility
> which I could use to know the configuration of the current running
> kernel ?

If you use make-kpkg (in the kernel-package package) to create
kernel-image-* debs, then you *should* have /boot/config-* files that
match the kernels in /boot/vmlinuz-*. I have to admit to being biased
towards make-kpkg :-)

If you installed the kernel "by hand", then you're on your own.
Hopefully you made a copy of the .config when you installed the kernel
:-)

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com