Re: Problem installing SMC 8013wc NIC

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 12:56:59AM -0500, rh.ccm@juno.com wrote:
> I tried this selection (RTL8139) earlier this afternoon, but it still
> would not install.  As you know, this network card is an old ISA SMC 8013
> series card (best I can determine), circa 1994.  You would think there
> would be something that would work with it.

This card should use the wd driver. ISA cards don't auto-probe
especially well so you probably have to tell the kernel which IRQ and
memory address to use. I have the following in /etc/modutils/ethernet:

alias eth0 wd
options wd io=0x280 irq=11

(don't forget to run update-modules after editing files in
/etc/modutils)

The trick is finding the correct IRQ and IO addresses. Cards of that
vintage typically can have either jumper configuration or an eeprom
that is programmed with a DOS utility (this can fit on a boot disk),
or both. The Linux Ethernet HOWTO has a pretty good section on the 8013.

HTH

dt

--
Dave Thayer           | If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about
Denver, Colorado USA  | cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all