From: David Z Maze [mailto:dmaze@debian.org]
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 2:57 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Building kernel-image with kpkg

Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> writes:
> Various sources have recommended doing "rm -rf */pcmcia" before
> building a kernel from sources (assuming you're goign to use the
> pcmcia stuff in the pcmcia-cs package).
>
> If I do that, the "make" dies because it's looking for stuff in those
> directories.
>
> Am I missing a step??

You're arbitrarily nuking things from the source tree.  Don't do that.
:-)  You need to enable a couple of meta-items in the kernel config
(e.g. "support for hot-pluggable devices" and the generic top-level
"Wireless LAN" option), but not enable specific device drivers (e.g.
"PCMCIA/CardBus support").  If you don't enable the options in the
kernel configuration, they won't get built by the kernel build, and
won't conflict with the pcmcia-cs modules.