Re: (Woody, XFree 4) remote x fails with tcpdump message 'cannot accessxdmcp port'

Martin Edward John Waller <martin.waller@flomerics.co.uk> wrote:

Hello,

I can't get remote x to work - even Xnest to
localhost fails.  With tcpdump, I see messages
akin to the above, complaining that the xdmcp port
can't be accessed.  This port is listed in my
/etc/services, I have the 'no-listen-tcp' option
removed in the relevant files and other networking
works fine (telnet, ping, ftp, masquerading).
xhost + works though.
What's up?  I dunno where else to look...

Martin

1. If you are using GDM, you have to remove the "no-listen-tcp" option on your server line as well as in /etc/X11/init/xserverrc file.

2. If you have a firewall between the machines, make sure the XServer ports in the range of 5999 to 6003 are "open". THIS IS A BIG SECURITY RISK!

3. Consider using the X-Forewarding function of ssh for particular X applications, like xterm, etc. I haven't had very good luck getting it to run nicely on large apps like KDE, etc., probably due to my slow and memory-starved hardware. I DO use XDMCP on my internal LAN quite sucessfully (with GDM).

4.  VNC can be a very nice alternative!

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-