Re: Erratic mouse behavior

I know that for whatever reason one of our users computers also exhibits erratic mouse behavior in the GUI. But this only occurs after a reboot. The problem is apparently that there are 2 mouse device programs running at once. By killing gpm in bash, the problem is resolved.

Curtis

Jonathan David Pearce wrote:

I've been running unstable for several months now. I just did a package
update in dselect and selected a few new packages to install. I also
updated all the already installed packages that had updates available.
Last update I did was two, maybe three weeks ago.

After all the package updates were in place, my mouse cursor has
exhibited new behavior. Approximately every minute or two, any sort of
mouse movement generates random movement by the cursor on screen,
including phantom button-clicking of any of the 3 buttons. This persists
for perhaps 15 seconds before the mouse cursor reverts to normal.

When the mouse isn't acting crazy, it is perfectly functional--i.e., 80%
of the time, it works just fine. I checked my XFree86Config and it's
still got the same settings I've been using for a year now. If not for
these two things, I'd swear that it was trying to use the wrong
mouse protocol.

The mouse doesn't move by itself. I can only watch it do weird things
when I try to use it.

Any theories on what package just caused my mousing system to
(occasionally) break?

Please CC: replies to dwindlehop+bulk@cmu.edu. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Jonathan Pearce

Jonathan David Pearce
Fingerprint: 2CF1 A8CE 3664 290E 808D  7264 8E17 A4BE 3EAA FB2A
Public Key: http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~jpearce/jpearce_keys.txt