Re: KDE, baud, and configuration

More on this -- it seems that the network operates for a short time whenever I
log on with Debian (KDE, Windowmaker, it's
all the same effect)-- and then goes down hard.  As of that point, I can get no
more out of it.  I can go ahead and try to ping my gateway -- nothing
(self-pinging does work, though).  At one point, a window came up saying that I
might need to adjust some  environment variable $NO_SOCKS or somesuch.

Meanwhile, if I soft-reboot, and come up in Windows, everything is fine again.

Any ideas on what I've set up wrong here?