Re: Uprgading sendmail from Potato -> Woody

Hello,

> I am not too much of a crack with sendmail...

Neither am I. I upgraded from potato to woody recently.

>    Informational: 1 optional database(s) sources
>                   were not found, please investigate.

As it states, the feature is optional. I think you can ignore that if
you are not using userdb.

>   /usr/share/sendmail/updatedb assumes that databases, and their source
>   datasets have the same base name (not counting the .db).  If this is
>   not true, /usr/share/sendmail/updatedb can not rebuild your databases
>   to make sure they will work with the newer sendmail.  You will have to
>   do this yourself - before starting sendmail.

This is even better: if you do use userdb (which you don't seem to),
just rebuild it manually, and it's going to work properly. At least, I
interpret the message above this way.

I think, your best way is testing. If your primary concern is downtime,
clone the system and perform a test upgrade on the copy first. If
everything goes well, upgrade the server itself.

If this is not an option for you, plan the downtime and upgrade. As I
understand, you are running sendmail 8.11, whereas woody ships 8.12.
Debian automatic upgrade scripts worked well for me -- they properly
configured smmsp user, submit.cf, and queue permissions. The main
problem was configuration authority: the scripts insisted on
auto-generation of all configuration files and databases, whereas I've
been accustomed to doing that manually. But if you understand what your
sendmail.mc does, it's not difficult to rebuild the configuration
manually (until the next upgrade :) ). I don't know whether there is a
supported way to disable automatic configuration.

Hope this helps,
Baurjan.