I can hear my mouse, but not my music

Hello,

After being pointed to the existance of the via82xxx module, I
recompiled my kernel with that module and hoped to be able
to play some music. Unfortunately, it doesn't. I've tried three different
music players (ALSA, FreeAmp, ...), so the problem isn't in the player.
In my syslog, the line:

[date] [machine-name] kernel: via_audio: ignoring drain playback error -11

appears during boot and sometimes when I try to play music.
Also I noticed that, as under Windows, I can now hear my mouse move: a simple
staccato sound; almost like every pixel it moves gives a soft 'click'. I figure my mouse and soundchip might be sharing an IRQ or something, but if it works under Windows,
it shouldn't be a problem under linux ;)

Does anyone have an idea on how to solve this?

sincerely,

Ivo Wever
I.J.W.Wever@student.tnw.tudelft.nl