Re: Woody / X / ATI

On Sun, 2002-04-21 at 13:41, DSC Extra wrote:
>         I have just installed Woody; I have picked KDE as my default
> X-server; I tried to set up with xf86config.
> Interestingly, when I try to enter X with startx, I bomb out, as X
> refuses to initialize the graphics modes that are possible,
> and instead tries to initialize all the super-high-res modes.
>
>        My card lists as a 2 MB ATI Tech. Enhanced Mach 64 Rage Pro Turbo
> AGP with DirectDraw 1.0
>
>        On Potato, I'm pretty sure I used the ATI Graphics Pro Turbo.
> That's what I tried here, and it didn't work.
>
>        However, I also seem to remember that there were a bunch of
> easier, graphically driven setup programs.
> Can anyone tell me what they are?  That might help me on the
> installation.  Or, if you know exactly what I need to do,
> please let me know.
>
>        Thanks.

 I think woody uses ver4 as the default ver of Xfree86, in which case I
don't think 'xf86config' works. For Xfree86 ver4 use 'dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86' or use 'dselect' and install Xfree86 ver 3.3.6, which
is what potato uses. KDE doesn't have much to-do with as a X-server :)
--
Greg C. Madden
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0