Re: using unstable package on testing?

* Shawn McMahon (smcmahon@eiv.com) [020420 23:26]:
> begin  Vineet Kumar quotation:
> >
> > Yes, and actually quite painless. Create an /etc/apt/preferences file
> > with something like this in it:
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=testing
> > Pin-Priority: 700
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=unstable
> > Pin-Priority: 500
>
> I've been wondering something about this.  Some people suggest the
> above, and others have suggested (and I am using):
>
> Add the following to /etc/apt/apt.conf:
>
> APT::Default-Release "testing";
>
> It appears to do the exact same thing as the longer method proposed
> above.  What's different?

I can't give an authoritative answer. I think that they do effect the
same behavior, but setting individual numeric pins gives you greater
flexibility (i.e. you can set pins based on almost anything, like for
certain specific packages, or by main vs. non-free, etc.)

Setting Default-Release is probably the better way to go in case all you
want to do is prefer woody but be able to install from other branches.
I guess the only reason I suggested the method above is because that's
what I'm using and it's working for me. Your .sig is uncannily
applicable in this case. =)
> --
> Shawn McMahon                    | McMahon's Laws of Linux support:
> http://www.eiv.com               | 1) There's more than one way to do it
> AIM: spmcmahonfedex, smcmahoneiv | 2) Somebody thinks your way is wrong

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml