DHCP/BOOTP

Hello
I just got back to using Debian..I'll just tell you what the problem is :
i boot normally from the cd's and start the installation process; i choose the right drivers and modules..when i get the Configure Network, i enter my host name and then i choose to configure with DHCP/BOOTP. This gives me an error right away.. i remember when i used Debian a while ago, doing this would show me "Configuration successful" or something similar.. I checked everywhere on the web, tryied installing a new version of the driver, but it still does not work.. I also have Mandrake. I tried installing it, and it did work..
I would apreciate it if you had a solution
THanks you very much in advance

Alexis Georges