re-installing dpkg when dpkg is borked

My dpkg is apparently broken.  I suspect that a file or three is either
missing, can't be found for some reason, or is lying in some foul
gutter, corrupted by too close an association with a certain lower class
OS.  Either I must recreate/locate the missing file(s), or re-install
dpkg.

Problems:

	1.  I don't know what files should where.  dpkg -I can't help, it's
borked :-/.  Is there a config file somewhere?

	2.  How do you install dpkg if dpkg is broken?  Since I have yet to
compile any packages, doing so for a critical app is not high on my list
of druthers.  Find a .tar.gz pkg?

Help with solution 1 will be especially appreciated if it will make
solution 2 moot.  Help with problem 2 will be accepted in the hope that
it will prove un-needed ;-)

Actually, were Merlin or Glenda to show up with a magic wand, I would
greet either with great enthusiasm.

tnx
--
gt
It is interesting to note that as one evil empire (generic) fell,