Re: Hard disk access causes high CPU load

Get hdparm package and run hdparm /dev/hda or sda or what ever your root hard
drive is, and that will give you information on your hard drive usually hdparm
-d1 /dev/hda will turn on dma try hdparm -d1 -m16 -c1 /dev/hda that should take
care of most of it.  I had the same problem as you and someone helped me out with
it.