Wireless VPN and Debian

Back in the Feb. issue of LinuxJournal this year, Don
Marti wrote an article on Wireless networking and vpn.
He used Debian and vpnd for his article. The article
was not exactly a step by step thing, just enough to
get one started. For example:

"At this point you should be able to ping the base
station's virtual address (10.3.0.1 in this case) from
the client, and vice versa. If not, check the logs for
vpnd errors, and use ifconfig and route at both ends
to make sure the IP address and routing information
are correct."

But what is correct? I've got vpnd working on my base
and client and the wifi cards. I can ping both the vpn
and wifi from the client to the base. I know I don't
have IPMasquerade set up correctly as the laptop
cannot access the internet. My base station and laptop
are running debian sid, with kernel 2.4.18 and
iptables and the default debian ipmasq set up. Now
here's the wrinkle.

My base is behind a lrp firewall box that runs
dnscache and dhcpd etc. So let's try a little ascii
art:

internet<->cableModem
               ^

              <eth0>lrp<eth1>(192.168.1.254)
                               ^

                              hub

<sl0>                          V
<wlan0>debianWAPBase/VPNDBase<eth0>
  ^

<wlan0>debianLaptop
<sl0>

wlan is 10.2.0.0/16 network
vpn is 10.3.0.0/16 network

My main questions is what kind of rules need to be on
the debianWAPBase and debianLaptop to make all traffic
flow through vpn? Has anyone else tried this? Got
suggestions or insight? I've been reading the
VPN-Masquerade-HOWTO but haven't got it all figured
out obviously. Will I need dns on the WAPBase to
server the wireless network? Or will the wireless
network be able to get dns from the dnscache on the
lrp box?

=====
rascharles@yahoo.com
Hacking is a "Good Thing!"