apt-get upgrade won't

Running Woody, w/2.4.17 kernel for several months.
This evening, I attempted apt-get update, upgrade, and an install
(icewm).  (Screen output of a re-run is attd.)  I then ran mandb which
made 0 changes!  man icewm did not exist.  `which icewm` returned
nothing.  As usual, after an upgrade or install, I ran a script that
compares the current installed pkgs to the previous list and cats the
diff to a changelog.  The result said I had removed ~1400 packages. 8-(
dpkg -l returns to the prompt with no output.

The previous update/upgrade went normally.

/var/lib/dpkg/available seems normal (readable) and ~7megs. ./status
also looks normal.

There are no error messages, so previous posts that I found don't seem
applicable (only 1 of those got any response, and I didn't understand
the answer--see Kent West/Collin Watson, 3/18, subj: need dpkg expert).

Likely something simple, let's hope, so point the direction and I'll run
'til I hit a wall.
tnx,
--
gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
  icewm-common
  icewm icewm-common
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/471kB of archives. After unpacking 2204kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Hit http://http.us.debian.org woody/main Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org woody/main Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org woody/contrib Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org woody/contrib Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org woody/non-free Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org woody/non-free Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org woody/main Sources
Hit http://http.us.debian.org woody/main Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org woody/contrib Sources
Hit http://http.us.debian.org woody/contrib Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org woody/non-free Sources
Hit http://http.us.debian.org woody/non-free Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org woody/non-US/main Packages
Hit http://non-us.debian.org woody/non-US/main Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org woody/non-US/contrib Packages
Hit http://non-us.debian.org woody/non-US/contrib Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org woody/non-US/non-free Packages
Hit http://non-us.debian.org woody/non-US/non-free Release
Hit http://non-us.debian.org woody/non-US/main Sources
Hit http://non-us.debian.org woody/non-US/main Release
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
11 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/5319kB of archives. After unpacking 557kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]