Re: Problem installing SMC 8013wc NIC

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:00:19 -0700 (PDT) David Smead
<smead@amplepower.com> writes:
> I'm doing some guessing, but often that works.
>
> How do you know that modprobe didn't find the card and install the
> correct
> driver?

It first tells me that the "Installation failed.  Then in the next step
of the install process, as I remember (I'm at home now) it tells me it
could not find the network card, and to go back and make sure the modules
were installed correctly, or some such thing.  I suppose it could be a
bad network card.  Maybe I should try another one of these systems before
I blame the driver install.

> What does ifconfig tell you?
>
> What is in /etc/modules?
>
> What is in /etc/network/interfaces?
>
> And what is in /etc/networks?

I don't have an answer for these last four questions, but as soon as I
can get back to work, I'll check and see.  Thanks, David.

Randy