Re: tcpdump: traffic connecting to another machine

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 04:11:39PM +0000, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> I'd like to run tcpdump on internal network traffice between our router
> and general workstations.
>
> My laptop, on which I'm running tcpdump, is connected to the same switch
> as the router. However I can only get traffic between my machine and the
> router using tcpdump.
>
> The switch is a managed switch.

Well, that's why. Switches only send traffic to the machine it's intended
for. There are techniques to observe sessions between two machines, but
I'm not sure if you can sniff all of the switch traffic without some kind
of administrative access.

--
Nick