Re: VNCserver goes into session not gdm

* Jeremy Nickurak (atrus@rifetech.com) [020414 12:24]:
> On Sat, 2002-04-13 at 21:57, hanasaki wrote:
> > How do i get gdm to run on the vnc server when a client connects?  It is
> > just going inot the session
>
> It sounds to me like what you want to do is not have VNC start gdm, but
> the other way around. Gdm spawns, and respawns, X servers. Xvnc is an X
> server. By all rights, there should be a way to get gdm to manage a
> vncserver, and put its login prompt there. I'm not sure exactly how this
> would go, but I imagine it would involve pointing the Servers section of
> gdm.conf to the Xvnc executable instead of the regular X server, with
> appropriate command line options.

FWIW, this sounds like the right path to achieve what you want. Notice
that when you start gdm, it startx /usr/X11R6/bin/X running as :0. You
don't run startx and then run gdm within that X server. Similarly, you
want gdm to also start Xvnc running as :1. I don't have gdm on this
machine and as such can't see the appropriate config files, but IIRC you
want to have a look at gdm.conf and/or and Xservers file. (At least xdm
and kdm use the Xservers file, but I think gdm specifies it all at the
end of gdm.conf .)

> On the other hand, this sounds partially like a Bad Idea. At the very
> least, you should ensure that root logins are disabled, and a large fail
> delay set.

Right. Is there a way to make Xnvc listen for requests only on
localhost? If not, you could still firewall off any outside connections
to the vnc ports. Then your clients could connect via ssh tunnels. I do
remember a note from the vnc website reminding that if you do this, make
sure you tell your clients explicitly an encoding to use; when
connecting to localhost they default to using 'raw' which is far less
than optimal for non-local use. You'll have to check their web site for
that, though; this should do it:

http://www.google.com/search?q=vnc+ssh&btnI=I

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml