Re: Intermittent System Lockup (long)

on Wed, Apr 17, 2002, Jamin W. Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net) wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:53:10 -0700
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > on Wed, Apr 17, 2002, Jamin W. Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net)
> > >
> > > I'll give that a try, how long would you suggest it run before
> > > considering this test to have been passed?
> >
> > Run through it one or more times.  In some cases there are thermal
> > effects.  Depending on processor speed, you may want to set a continuous
> > loop and run the process for an hour or so.
>
> Created two copies of the 2.4.16 kernel source and have currently been
> running two endless compiling loops in SSH sessions to the system.  The
> loops have been running for 4+ hours now, planning to let them run over
> night.

Sounds like a negative.

> > You might try mounting your drives 'sync' (synchronous mode), and
> > launching Mozilla under strace, logging stderr.  This may be able to
> > capture the final system calls of the program.
>
> I'll give this a run tomorrow.  Hopefully I can readily get Mozilla to
> drop the system.

You've largely eliminated memory and CPU.

Another possible HW problem might be a disk corruption in your swap
partition.  I suggest this just because I now that Mozilla tends to
grow, and stress swap.  Though I would tend toward a driver issue.  Not
sure of a good swap tester, anyone have any suggestions?

Peace.

   Integrity, we've heard of it:  http://www.theregister.co.uk/