Re: Intermittent System Lockup (long)

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:53:10 -0700
"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> on Wed, Apr 17, 2002, Jamin W. Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net)
> wrote:
> > >  - CPU -- a continuous kernel-build loop is a pretty good test.
> > >  You're  looking for SIG-11 errors.
> >
> > I'll give that a try, how long would you suggest it run before
> > considering this test to have been passed?
>
> Run through it one or more times.  In some cases there are thermal
> effects.  Depending on processor speed, you may want to set a continuous
> loop and run the process for an hour or so.

Created two copies of the 2.4.16 kernel source and have currently been
running two endless compiling loops in SSH sessions to the system.  The
loops have been running for 4+ hours now, planning to let them run over
night.

> You might try mounting your drives 'sync' (synchronous mode), and
> launching Mozilla under strace, logging stderr.  This may be able to
> capture the final system calls of the program.

I'll give this a run tomorrow.  Hopefully I can readily get Mozilla to
drop the system.

--
Jamin W. Collins