Re: Help installing packages (newbie but refusing to give up)

the Packages and Packages.gz files were downloaded w/ the directories of all the packages and placed on my win partition w/ the other packages (wow, that was a tongue twister). Just to be safe I gave it a try anyway by deleting Packages and Packages.gz and running "dpkg-scanpackages" which returned "command not found". I then tried "dpkg -scanpackages" returning "unknown option -c" then "dpkg --scanpackages" wich failed as well. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help

From: "Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shalehperry@attbi.com>
To: GQ Kokidko <gqkokidko@hotmail.com>
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Help installing packages (newbie but refusing to give up)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 06:55:48 -0700 (PDT)

On 16-Apr-2002 GQ Kokidko wrote:
> I am a new user and have installed the base system of the stable debian
> linux on hdb1 and windows 2000 on hda1. I can boot to linux and windows and > have lilo configured properly but dselect and tasksel aren't able to find > the packages (which are on hda1 in order to install them. Tasksel cant see
> them at all (is there a config file or something I can point it too) and
> dselect can see them to tell me whats
> available. After I go through the million and a half debian packages and
> choose what I want to install, when I go to install it either looks at a
> different location or doesn't find what it needs (even though I downloaded > everything in the i386 binary directory and fails to install. Thanks for
> any help

the tools do not blindly read all of the deb files in a directory and hand them to you. They require a Packages file which contains the already parsed package info (name, size, description, depends, etc). What you can do is create this file. dpkg-scanpackages will do it for you. Note the file is expected to be
gzipped.